Monday, April 12, 2010

Squealer

I really like the serpentine tensioner I installed but I had thought it was the problem when I had a HORRIBLE squeal coming from front drive area.
I tried "lathing" the flange off the edge in hopes it was rubbing but that wasn't it.
If we dumped water on belt-noise went away and that should have been the first clue.
I spent an hour this morning removing tensioner(5 min) and then using the alternator and PS pump to tension the belt(55 min)

Squeal still there. =(

With the tensioner gone I could tell the noise was coming from the area around my air compressor so I engaged it thinking the load might give me an indication-no change. But the air it was putting out was IMPRESSIVE!!! It is rated 10cfm and its obvious why.

So just on a whim, I (engine running) took some sandpaper and rubbed the grooves on the air pulley-noise changed. So I got more aggressive and wiggled my hand down under the spinning belt and held paper there till it was hot. All of a sudden-the noise went away. !!! So now I am going to put the tensioner BACK on the system since I really love how easy it is to do any accessory or belt changes with that setup.

It was rainy today but I drove it everywhere for my errands and my machinist said not to baby it but not to lug or over-rev it and so I opened it up a little more and it was nice-I have some carb work to do to dial it in but its working for now.

Exhaust shop said $400 for the single exhaust so for now my wreck yard special will have to do. $400!!! They do TERRIFIC work but they charged me less for the full dual system on my camper!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home