Saturday, March 20, 2010

Countdown

So the countdown begins. Today was speedometer gear fixing a stripped thread, fuel pump relay, fuel line hookup, heater hose, carb/links, the correct oil pressure sender, power steering hoses/fluid, hook up wiring, prime oil system, clean and install distributor, spark plugs, wires..., wiring buss bar, valve cover gasket(which prompted cutting some of my fuel line and replacing it with hose-you know-3x work)clean up tools and floor, and some other misc stuff.
Tomorrow I hope to get front end in place enough to install tranny cooler and lines and get that finished. Once it is in place, I can add rest of tranny fluid, water in radiator, fill transfer case and fire up motor.

I got asked today why this is taking so long and why I have to do things 3x when other people doing same build dont have as much trouble.
I try my hardest to be difficult and non-conformist and luddite..
But seriously. most people take the fuel injected base motor, rebuild it and put it back in.
I chose to take some 1981 parts, 1981 intake manifold, 80's fxxx carb, put the parts in/on a 1989 block, use a 1991 head, and go back to using the non-standard 1981 accessory system while adding an air compressor. Not to mention I slowly and 5x checked all my motor specifications(blueprinted) and do to that diligence found some errors in the original castings that had to be modified for optimal results.(3x)
The end result is hopefully a 300,000 mile motor that will make over 275hp and tow reliably and much stronger than the worn out thing that blew mocha mud all over the inside of my hood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home