Friday, March 06, 2009

Planned and unplanned replacements

I planned this one.
Its to cure the interminable leaking of tranny fluid from the stock stamped steel factory pan and over torqued gasket.
this one adds 2 quarts capacity, is MUCH stiffer in the gasket flange area and will help dissipate heat faster both from the cooling fins, great area, greater volume, and its cast aluminum.
This one was planned.

I put 6 quarts of fluid in new trans pan. When I started the motor to be able to shift tranny in all gears to make sure fluid was at the proper level, I had the great fortune to observe the water pump puking water all over the floor.
BLECK.
so BACK out came the radiator, fan, belt off... and the grimy old one. This replacement was NOT planned. I had to chase all over town to get the right WP for a price I was happy with(not going back to 20th street fake napa-ask me if you want an earful)

And since I was in there I replaced the OE 195 thermostat with a 180 just because.

9 quarts later(and still a bit shy) its all back together and running fine. My last little bit of hardware is to get the manual choke operating properly-I need to find the right one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home