Sunday, March 01, 2009

Getting closer


Pics may not show it but progress has been made.
Wiper motor I’ve had in a box since 1997 was finally installed a week ago. It didn’t work properly-it had too much swing and was binding arms. I called the manufacturer and they at first assumed I did not know what I was doing or talking about. Finally they told me to ship it back and they would fix.
Being impatient, annoyed, and handy-I looked at another one I had of newer vintage and noted it said 110 sweep on it. I took it apart and discovered it was quite simple.
So regretfully-I pulled the motor BACK out of truck and took it apart to find it was on the 120 sweep hole.
I swapped to 110 sweep hole, put it back in and WA!-LA!...

Today I cleaned the back of the truck off and bolted on temp 81 jeep tail lights... ugly but functional.


I dinked around with throttle linkage and finally got the drag out of it and got about 95% throttle travel instead of the previous 60%. good enough-its not a racer so I better not need 100%...

Bought OEM neutral safety/backup light switch and replaced along with seal as it was leaking pretty good out of tranny. Now I have backup lights and with the wire hooked up-I can only crank in Park or neutral. VERY GOOD.

The shifter linkage was SOOO super sloppy that I had about 20 degrees of shifter travel before gear change. The shift shaft out of tranny had good leak too so I replaced that seal. I welded and re-drilled hole in shift arm and got 10 degrees of slop out. Then I thought I had to add 0.030" shim with welding to the bracket on shift shaft but after weld/file/repeat to get it perfect I realized that a bolt was missing. Tacked bolt in place, tightened and now I’m down to a mostly acceptable 1-2 degrees of slop. I still cant get first gear manually but if I need tranny to hold in first-I’ve got worse problems... LOL

Ordered a deep cast alum trans pan as the final step to eliminating all the excessive tranny leaks. the OEM stamped steel pan was just leaking sitting there. lost 2-3 quarts since Oct. !!!!
That should arrive Tues? wed? and then truck will drive out under own power. I've mocked up front bumper to best visual height and location. DMV says I have to re-weigh it so I’m gonna do that after its motivating on its own as today my GMC(first truck) drove away with a new owner.

THINGS LEFT:
turn this pile;

into a copy of this;

while making it look OEM to 1950.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home