Monday, December 22, 2008

The devil and the aftermarket(or the saga of the rear glass)

The day started out great with my smart wife's great idea to take advantage of the last sunny day of the year and go out to 'storage' to grab a bed for this monster.
2-3 hours and it was on the road again. Amy worked super hard-Love you too honey!


Then the window...
background-ordered 2, got 3.. or 1 plus 2 pieces-worst packing job ever...
so they sent me a new one-I left it in wrap but single item in big box is storage pain so I grabbed it to install on sat... got it cut out of bubblewrap, lifted into place and noticed it said tempered.
not a big deal right? well, I ordered laminated like OEM-i like it better for lots reasons... its the back window so if a something bounces and whacks it-at least I drive home dry and warm instead of crumble.. anyway..
I held it up and it was 6" long and 2" too short...
they sent me the wrong one!. lucky for me I got 2 and 1 was right and here...
BTW-it came from Taiwan-really. they cut it in Taiwan, shipping it across the Pac, loaded on truck, warehouse to warehouse... to store, to mail to me.. and its still $20 cheaper than local glass guy wants to charge me?
BUMMER!
so after trying to follow OEM manual and getting nowhere with that-buddy Fritz stopped by and with him and Amy-we worked about an hour to install 1 piece of glass. PITA!

then the real pain-there is the locking strip to hold the glass firmly in the rubber....
OEM manual shows this neato wire tool with wood handle and the strip feeding through it...
well, the re-pop tool isn't wire-its stamped flat plate and too big so it doesn't fit in the groove like its supposed to($12 down the drain)

second-the insert rubber with fancy chrome look is NO WHERE NEAR..
let me repeat that;
NOWHERE NEAR the correct OEM size or shape. (guess whos getting their chrome back?) so after 3+ hours(NOT kidding) of 3 different people, various fun and not fun implements-this is how much locking bead got installed;

you saw that right?-its about 3 inches... and theres not enough hours between now and wed to get it done at that rate. I've got a welder and some sheetmetal-who needs a window back there anyway...?
-Amy spent about 6 hours today with a different locking bead and got the whole top and half down both sides. her hands hurt, she got blisters and she cant feel her arms.
yep-OEM fit, designed to perfection.
and no-it doesn't matter who I order from-its all the same Taiwan factory. I'm screwed. the old rubber was so hard I couldn't cut it-really. I chipped it out with a screwdriver and it shattered the rubber(glass was already broken.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Architect Critic said...

Wow, what a pain. You would think that with all the GM restoration companies out there, someone would have a better product. . .

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home