Sunday, March 29, 2009

MPG

Took the rig out to dads yesterday with a 1 ton truck on the car trailer that only had cab/fenders, no windshield, drivers door hanging half open-basically a heavy, wind blocking, MPG hog.

my 52 gmc got 16+ empty not towing and i didn't track towing full so would guess in the 13-15 range-it did real well and had good power with 250 inline 6.

my 69 Chevy van with TONS of power(307 V8)got 11 towing or not, empty or not, irregardless of speed. LOL!

my truck didn't have bed, hood, bumpers, headlight trim... basically anything that helps smooth airflow. Also fulltime 4WD in use.

I drove aggressively and gave no consideration to MPG and over a 45 mile journey I got 12.5 with the 4x4 loaded half the trip and like this coming home;

Its kind of a 'dog' power wise and that may be helped with carb tuning but I'm a little disappointed with the power-especially towing. I do have 4wd now and that's nice but I'm going to be exploring power boost options. maybe a supercharger?

---------
factory oil change program.
Seems you just add oil every tank of gas and change filter once per year. the valve cover shape and hold-down attachment is the WORST! This is my updated, stiffer, better sealing surface valve cover and it leaks so much-the car trailer got 'decorated' =(
the red circle shows the POOL of oil that has leaked out of valve cover.

1 Comments:

Blogger Architect Critic said...

There has to be something wrong with that valve cover. Either the head surface or cover aren't straight, or that's a crappy gasket. The Jeep I-6 engines are known for a little bit of leakage out the valve covers, but that is very excessive. Especially with one of those nice, stiff aluminum covers. The sheet metal cover on my 4.0 doesn't even leak that much.

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home