Tuesday, November 18, 2008

RANT- sony products are worthless-dont buy!!

sony stinks

I paid $250 about 2.5 years ago for one of sony's best pocket cameras. DSC-W50
we chose it cause of its super short response time between power button and actual shutter click.

sony stinks

we put a few thousand VERY careful pics through it.
whenever it wasn’t in the camera bag-it was ALWAYS on our wrist with wrist strap.
it was never dropped or mis-handled.

sony stinks

well, JUST before our Sept HI trip-it FAILED. wouldn’t power up the lens at all.
gave error messages and wouldn’t work.

sony stinks

I googled my camera model- DSC-W50 and the error message about the failed lens and came up with about 250,000 RELEVANT hits-seems this is the most common reason that these cameras are all over ebay BROKEN and even the good ones wont sell since they all WILL fail.
funny-my Nikon and my friends Nikon’s don’t fail.

sony stinks

so I took it back to best(worst) buy where I bought it.
they were USELESS. in fact-they were so useless-they broke it worse! I had to throw a tantrum to get them to fix what they broke. they wanted to offer me $50 credit to new camera. LOL!
so 4 weeks go by and I get a message from service center that my camera is broken and do I want to spend $350 to get it fixed.

sony stinks

my momma didn’t raise no fool so I took off my shoes, did some quick math using my toes for extra help and decided I didn’t want to shell out $100 more than I paid for the camera in the first place. however-there was no toll-free number to call them back.
after getting a huge run-around at the lab where I called I made it PERFECTLY clear that there was NO WAY I was gonna pay more and just fix what best buy broke and give it back.

sony stinks

my intent was(and may still be) to go after sony for repair issues and not standing behind products especially after known issues.

sony stinks

so TWO months after I dropped off camera-best buy calls to say they have my camera. after waiting 20 minutes in a NOT busy store-they finally give it back to me. still doesn’t work(I was hoping the lab tech might take pity on me and fix it anyway)

so there it sits on the shelf-another month goes by and tonight I was up too late and decided I have NOTHING to lose.

I took it apart. pried on it, banged it, took every screw out and pried some more. couldn’t get the lens assembly out via some web jockeys instructions. finally tried the battery again after pretty much sticking a screwdriver in the lens and yanking....

IT WORKS!!!

I’m not holding my breath and there’s a wonderful class-action lawyer who just got through winning a different case against sony for defective TV's who evidently has done some research and would LOVE to tackle this issue too. I’m giving the camera till Jan. and if its still running-I wont call the lawyer but if it fails even once-thats it.

beside NEVER buying or recommending a sony product ever again, I’m going to vent my(and users around the world) frustrations and let the ambulance chasers go to work.

long rant but BLECK on sony....

1 Comments:

Blogger Jon said...

my sony camera crapped out on me too early in my opinion, that's one more vote against

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home